My name is Peter Oliver and I edit this website. I believe God has given me a particular mission, “encouraging Christians to follow the teachings of Jesus”. I do this whenever and wherever I can, including through this website.
I have a deep concern that for nearly 2000 years we, Jesus’ followers, have been adding human traditions, doctrines, rituals and rules to his teachings. I believe that we have become burdened and weighed down by these human teachings and we have lost our focus on his teachings. I believe that these human teachings are hindering the work of the church and, therefore, hindering the coming of the kingdom of God. We need to get back to focusing on the teachings of Jesus.
I am not the only person who is concerned about what is happening in churches today. Millions of Christians are leaving our mainstream churches because these churches are no longer meeting their spiritual needs. I believe that God is leading many of these people to to serve him in simpler, better ways. If you are interested in this trend you might like to read the post Christians leaving our churches today may be Christianity’s best hope for tomorrow.
Finally. All human beings make mistakes and get things wrong sometimes. I am a human being and, therefore, I make mistakes and get things wrong sometimes. So, I could be wrong. My thoughts are only contributions to discussions that are going on in the Christian church at this time. Because I know I can get things wrong, I would really like to hear what you have to say about this site. I like to be disagreed with – it helps me to reflect and formulate my own thoughts.
A few personal things:
- I live in Perth, Western Australia. I am married with one adult son. I am a member of Mt Hawthorn Community Church, a small independent church, http://www.mhcc.asn.au
- Quite late in life I became a preacher and studied theology for several years at Vose Seminary https://www.vose.edu.au graduating with a Master’s degree in Divinity. My main area of study was the New Testament, specializing in the Gospel of Matthew.
- I spent most of my adult life working with, and for, alienated people including refugees, urban youth, indigenous Australians and people with mental health issues. I worked both face-to-face with these people and in government policy work addressing the bigger issues affecting them.
A few administrative things:
- All thoughts expressed on this site are my own. If I have quoted anyone else I have done so in quotation marks and have acknowledged the source.
- Most photographs are by Ken Maley. Ken is a professional photographer and these images are copyright.
- The technical stuff that makes this site work is managed by Lori Moore of Joyful Web Design. https://lorimoore-webdesigner.com Lori knows exactly what she is doing and does it efficiently, without fuss and at very reasonable rates. I’m glad I met her.
Thank you for considering these thoughts. I pray that God will bless you and keep you safe as you walk with him.
Jesus is Lord!